Friday, September 08, 2006

Alright, I've soaked the berries overnight, washed them thoroughly in cool water this morning, early, then once again around 10 am. They have not sprouted, but are soft evough to eat...kind of the texture of just cooked short-grain brown rice. These berries are like the proverbial "a watched pot never boils". I can't stop poking around looking for at least one sprouted berry.
I have already decided to add the salt, and instead of honey I will add a little maple syrup to give them a Canadian flair, when it comes time to buzz them in the food processor.
This flatbread project is a little bit of penance for me because I was a bit of a b*&$h when someone asked me a technical question about flatbreads made with mung beans. I know nothing about mungbeans and bread, and should have answered along those lines. Instead I was glib in an inappropriate way. So I am now making this essene bread, which will eventually lead to making a mung bean bread. In all honesty, I'm not sure if I want to make a mung bean bread...actually, I'm not sure my family and freinds want to eat mung bean bread. Maybe it will taste amazing and not only will I happily eat the mung bean bread, I will have to eat my words.

4 Comments:

Blogger Underground Baker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:24 AM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

I've been making bread, and pizza too on the egg. It works really well - you can control the temperature nicely. The egg imparts a slightly smoky flavour to the bread from the charcoal.

Speaking of the egg, I'm off work today, so I think I'll put a little pork shoulder on to smoke all day....pulled pork for dinner.......not quite the same as visiting Neeley's in Memphis but if you can't be in Memphis, it ain't bad.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

ok, ok, I read these comments after my last post. The dates and nuts sound great. I am considering yeasting the ground sprouts with some homemade super yeast...just for an hour to see if I can lighten it a bit.
Hi Mr. Anchovy, thanks for visiting! Oh my, I want some of that pulled pork.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hmmm...sounds like a fun experiemnt. I have always wanted to try to make this. I LOVE essene bread, love it. I am not a big fan of mung beans though, but maybe in this form they are tastier and sweeter than I remember.

Chances are kids and friends might not like essene bread. It's so different. I first ate it when I was younger and pretty openminded palete.

My daughter grew up eating this, years before she ate modern bread through her grandparents...and then she wouldn't eat any other bread except white processed bread. I wonder if now, she would enjoy essene bread?


I used to melt cheese on it, we always had it in the car for our meditiation retreats with Bob and Sharon with great peanut butter.

The bread tastes amazing when it has dates and pecans in it. Oh man I could enjoy some right now! Send some this way! Maybe I'll check it out at Whole Foods when we go on Sunday.

I bet Mister Anchovy could make a great essene bread on his new toy. Did you see the photos of his Green Egg slow baking barbeque? Amazing, like a kiln, its made.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home