Thursday, October 05, 2006

Cake for Breakfast
The cake I made last night tastes really good cold from the fridge. The whipped ganache is so light that its' texture is lovely. The butter cream is a little firmer than the ganache, so melts at a different speed in the mouth, so you have a layering of flavours.
The white balls really have to go, not only do I have to listen to their rude crunch much too early in the day, but it feels like my teeth are cracking. A drizzle of melted bittersweet chocolate would have been better....giving a nice crunch like sensation that would melt as soon as you felt its' resistance.
This is not a particulary good looking cake. The cake itself had fallen a little, so the filling kind of bulged a bit. With a little work on the cosmetic side, this cake will be good.

I realized in retrospect how awful it was to post my fridge for all to view. I think I must defend it and myself. First, it is not dirty. Just full. I am going to go and take a quick inventory...
OK, to start, all the condiments had to be moved out of the door because I have three bottles of the same red wine open. I had previously left one unfinished bottle out on the counter and it turned to an unpleasant vinegar. So I decided to refrigerate any red wine I opened that shockingly didn't get finished. Well, its a new procedure, and I promply forgot that this new system, and the next time I wanted wine I just opened up another bottle. Sad to say, it happened again, so that makes three bottles. The real lesson is that I have too many unopened bottles of wine around. Well...not anymore.
Any freinds out there reading this may want to drop by to help me drink said wine, perhaps with cake.
I buy organic milk right from the dairy warehouse to save money, so I go every ten days, purchasing what seems like stupid amounts of milk.
We have at least 3 kinds of jam open at any given time.
A sugar syrup blended with lime for impromptu mojitos.
Another sugar syrup blend for cakes or cocktails.
Roasted garlic in oil...that particular batch is really good - I'll write about it in a day or two.
On the bottom shelf there are various bread starters that hog a ton of room.
My freind brought me 3 dozen eggs from her farm.
She also brought me heritage tomatoes, poblano peppers, chayote squash, chili peppers and more, filling up all the crisper drawers, at least any space left over from the 3 lbs. of mejool dates that I bought in such a vast quantity only to find that everyone else in the house hates them.
Leftover wonton soup.
Leftover potato soup, (I'll have that today).
The remains of a roast chicken. (We'll have that tonight)
More poached figs, because I ate the last batch and you can never have too many of those hanging around.
Oooo, now the condiments - 2 hotsauces, (at least), 2 chili pastes, mayonaise, (yum), miracle whip, (evil hideous kraft food, but my mate likes it, bless his heart), I'm not sure how many mustards, dried tomatoes in oil, truffle butter, ketchp manis, olive oil, tahini, olives, korean chili sauce, (for bee bim bap - sooooo good, one of my favorite meals). There are more condiments in there, and I still don't have enough.
There is more in there, I'm just getting tired of writing it all down.

I guess what I am trying to say is all the stuff is good. Its not rotting in there, its just packed in there.

6 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

You're so funny with your crazy fridge of food and bread starters and then inventory of it.

Hey, I picked up McCarthy's The Road tonight! Even the first page is insanely heavy.

Cheers, this is really rounding out nicely, the place is starting to look lived in.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I'm just testing for anonymous comments...seems to be working now.
Candy

9:17 PM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

Thanks Candy!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fridge is a bit empty at the moment as we need to go shopping. But there are two cartons of buttermilk waiting for soda bread and scones. Natural yogurt for lassi, double cream for Amber's hazlenut meringue cake she's having for her party, plum sauce I made a few years ago which is nice with lentil sherherd's pie, cheeses like manchego, smoked applewood, white stilton with apricots, elderflower cordial made this June, blackcurrant syrup made last year, lots of butter, umeboshi plums, lots of veg, homemade vinegarette and a host of other stuff. Luckily it's clean for once.

11:42 AM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Back from Portugal...enjoyed lots of good food and pastries while there! Best was seafood dinner in a town called Peniche. I had some straight-up grilled fish and Tuffy had "Squid on a stick" and we both enjoyed some rocking good fish soup. Some people there were having the Peniche specialty, which is a tomato-based fish stew. It looked really good, but for two they bring out a cauldren of the stuff that would feed maybe six! Last night we had some grilled octopus in Foz do Arelha, served with boiled potatos and "migras", which is a hard to describe veggie mulch....kind of like veggie soup with most of the soup drained off. I think it was based on collard greens, which grow everywhere in Portugal and which are the basis of a potato - collard green - sausage soup called caldo verde which is an everyday kind of dish over there.

6:56 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Cake for breakfast - is especially good after a first course of cold pizza...

Best thing to do with open wine is to drink it.....but a while back, somebody gave us a wine pump, that seems to keep red wine OK for a few days.

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home