Wednesday, October 11, 2006


Stove Roasted Garlic

I should probably call this boiled garlic, but It doesn't taste boiled...it tastes buttery rich, and the oil it is cooked in is seasoned perfectly for salad dressings, cooking or for dipping bread into. And yes if you add balsamic to the garlic flavoured oil it is really really good. Use the softened, cooked garlic to thicken salad dressings, or spread warm on fresh bread as is. Or eat it like candy.
I started cooking garlic this way when I was cooking proffesionally as a way to solve fights over oven space. We almost always had space stovetop. I have only recently started flavouring the oil while cooking the garlic. I decided to add the rosemary and a chili pepper part way through the cooking process, and it added a lovely flavour, albiet mild. If you wanted to punch up the rosemary and chili taste you could crush the rosemary with the flat of your knife, or pound it breifly with a wooden spoon, ( very theraputic and satisfying, with heavenly aromatic tendrils wrapping around you while you smash it ). Cut the chili pepper in half to expose the seeds and the heat. The longer both those sit in the oil the spicier and more aromatic it will get.I prefer the more subtle flavours of leaving the seasonings whole.
I often just pound the rosemary for no other purpose than pleasure. I am so happy to have it growing on my deck again.
I'm not sure I need to include any instructions to this photo, but for those who would like them:

Peel two heads of garlic. Place in a small sauce pan, and cover with oil, I usually use a blend of grapeseed oil and olive oil. Add a sprig of rosemary and a chili pepper of your choice. You can use a dried pepper if there are no fresh available. You could probably use dried rosemary, but it would have a slightly different taste.
Bring the little pot of garlic, oil and flavourings to a simmer, then turn the heat to low, maintaining a very slow simmer. Cook until the garlic is soft and golden. Remove from the heat, cool completely. Remove rosemary and chili and tranfer to a glass storage jar. Keeps for quite some time in the frige. We usually eat it within a couple of days, but I'm sure it would be good for at least a week, if not more.

9 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

wow, lovely idea!

5:22 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Garlic is great, and this looks really good. May have to try it out...

9:41 AM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

Hey astrisk, nice of you to drop by.
When we are in a serious mood for garlic, I buy a pound of peeled cloves and simmer up a thwack of it.
The soft cloves are really good worked into a walnut bread.
One of these days I'll put that recipe up.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Stagg went to the store the other day to pick up a bulb of garlic. Unfortuantely, I forgot to tell him what a bulb of garlic was. So he came back with a ginormous bag of garlic. I peeled most of it untill my fingers had raw blisters...but I made an awesome garlic soup for his lunches with it...much like French Onion Soup, only garlic!

11:28 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Wife is always amazed by my confession that I don't like bread much, but it's because of growing up in Englad, where bread is absolute rubbish. Whe I'm in Italy, for example, I can eat plenty bread. The walnut bread sounds interesting, and so does Candy's garlic soup... I'm drooling and it's only 9 a.m.

1:10 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

You can see how fazed I am by all the typos in that last post.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Wow - I would never have thought of cooking garlic like this. I LOVE roasted garlic and like to add it to all kinds of things, but this looks like a really great idea too. Thanks!

3:00 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Do you know the site Garlicster?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

Hey mister anchovy, thanks, I'm heading right over.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home