Sunday, November 26, 2006

Know Your Ingredients

On my previous Almanac bread programs I would send out, or put on line, pages of information dealing the individual ingredients in various breads, and how these ingredients work in the loaf. For ease of reading and searching I have decided to post each ingredient on separate days. I hope this will make it easier for those searching for specific ingredients and/or problems.
The first installment will be yeast, followed by flour, then starter, etc…. Look for that beginning tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you know how I love yeast.

I mean Yeats. Damn that dyslexia.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

Very funny!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey UB - thanks for the tip about using an electronic thermometer to check if bread is done: it worked really well. Made two different sized loaves that were about 10min apart in doneness. Used a bit of sprouted and toasted (aka malted) rye for a nutty taste.

What are your thoughts on misting / steaming for crust development?

7:43 PM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

For many of my breads I put a pan on the bottom rack of the oven and pour water in right after I've popped the bread into the oven. I only do this for the breads I cook on the baking stone, or baguettes. When I bake a loaf in a North American style bread/loaf pan I don't bother since the steam from the dough is somewhat contained in the pan.
I just finished baking a loaf that I am calling a dairy loaf. It is so tender, buttery and moist that steam would have been redundant.
Glad the thermometer tip helped. I got that lesson directly from Julia Child a long time ago.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home