Monday, May 05, 2008

Books for Thoughts on Food


I have got quite a substantial reading list for this summer...although no summer novels yet. Any suggestions?
Perhaps I should finish Don Quixote. Candy and * were reading it last year, so I thought I would give it a go yet once again. Got as far as the windmills, perhaps a little further. I have noticed that everyone talks about the windmills whenever they mention the novel. I believe the reason the windmills are referred to so often is that no one actually reads any further than the bloody windmills.
That said, I am determined to finish it, so voila, another book on the list.
So far the list looks like this:

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats
Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism WARNING: This is an unpleasant clip. If you want to stick to light food topics, skip it, if you want to think about food globally and politically, then the idea of Klein's "shock doctrine" goes hand in hand with it.
Stuffed and Starved Here is a clip of Patel talking about biofuels, the contradiction of too many fat and too many thin people, and trade policies related to food.
Don Quixote
The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Coutries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It
Extraordinary Evil

6 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I've read The Shock Doctrine and it's excellent. It's a tad depressing, though. It's not specifically about food, however.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Good luck with your reading list! Did Candy ever finish Don Quixote?

8:54 AM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

Hi WC, yes, I think I need some light novels to counter the non-fiction!

In regards to Shock Doctrine, I think you can easily apply the priciples to food production, since they are essentially economic. Patel demonstrates this in his book when he discusses the Green Revolution in India. It wasn't until India was essentially starving that it allowed the american model of farming, and the associated corporations that come along with it, into certain districts within its' borders. Irrigation, pesticides and eventually GMO seeds were introduced at a time when India was under duress. Previously they had resisted the introduction of these farming methods. Now there are many arguments supporting the Green Revolution, but I'm not up to the task addressing them here. I just find it makes Klein's ideas more concrete when they can be applied to a broad spectrum. (and yes, more depressing too) You will probably find Stuffed and Starved an interesting read if you liked Shock Doctrine.

Red, Candy probably did finish Don Quixote because she is such a reading machine! I couldn't remember if you were reading it. Did you?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Red said...

I started it, but I didn't even make it as far as the windmills! I'm a lightweight...

9:57 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I've read it a couple of times. Nevermind. I was single most of my life remember?

Anyhow...I love DQ. I think the windmills stick in peoples minds because they are easy to remember and probably teachers ask kids what are the windmills? as they are about imagining and halucinating...

The point...and I'll save you all the trouble of reading DQ is that life is better and richer and we are younger at heart when we allow our imaginations a little free reign. DQ dies once he gives up his fantasy life under peer pressure to be "normal".

In other words...life is better with art!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Stagg said...

Everyone's homeslice-Pablo Picasso did a great series of Don Quixote's!!

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home