Friday, April 27, 2007



Baker's Block

My lack of posts are evidence that I am in a bit of a funk these days. The consequence is, well...I seem to have what I call bakers block.I cannot seem to find the wherewithal to make a loaf, and when I do, it turns out like crap.
Don't get me wrong, the bread pictured here was quite edible, but it was not what I had envisioned when making it. I was looking for long, shiney bubbles in my crumb. I let it rise nice and slow, with a generous spell in the fridge in hopes of developing the sugars and therefore a golden crunch of a crust.
Instead I was presented with a pale, miserly crumb and a flabby exterior...perhaps a reflection of my temper these days.

5 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

I still fancy sinking my teeth into that loaf. Break is my weakness...

1:19 AM  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

My dad bought me a bag of multigrain flour and I made a couple of loaves from it last week. It SUCKED. I gave a loaf to my brother and he said it was "too yeasty." I made a sandwich a couple of days ago and it tasted bitter and bland (I know that seems like a contradiction of terms, but it's true...). I used the recipe from the back of the bag. There wasn't much sugar in it and not salt. The loaf came out pale and tough. I'm not sure if it was the recipe or the flour, so I'll try again with a recipe I use all the time and see what happens.

I haven't updated ReTorte in a while because I haven't been baking much, either. I like the term "baker's block." It's creative, like writing, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Hope you're out of your slump soon.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a bit of a break from making bread at the moment and it's quite nice actually. I've got tons of flour that needs using up though.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Hey UB,

I tried making a loaf of bread today by rising it in the fridge, an idea I got from reading this post. I posted a pic on ReTorte. It turned out fantastic! I'm going to do it more often! Thanks for the idea!

7:23 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

just send your rejects by overnight courier to TO...

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home