Sunday, June 24, 2007

Bittersweet with Caramel Gems


Last week was busy, hence the long stretch between posts. This little stacked number was for a party of 14. It is coated and filled with a bittersweet ganache flavoured with cognac. The middle layer of each cake is studded with caramel pockets. The caramel glaze, (dusted with gold powder) is surrounded by balls of chocolate fondant. The cake was originally going to be draped with chocolate fondant until I discovered that the chocolate fondant recipe I used is not such a great draper - in actual fact it doesn't - If I had read the second part of the recipe a little more thoroughly I would have known that before I made two batches thinking I had done something wrong. Ah well, live and learn.
Speaking of learning, I was quite impressed that when I went online to problem solve the draping issue, I found the blog of the author Rose Levy Beranbaum, and posed my dilema there. I was pleasantly suprised by getting a response not only from her blog master, (???, like a webmaster but for blogs???), but from Rose herself. It was the latter who pointed out that I had missed the crucial draping information. Dam, how embarrassing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! I am so frickin' impressed, UB!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hey that is wonderful...I am having a chocoholic response as I type I swear I can taste the chocolate right now...argh!

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is insanely beautiful.

You are the ruler of my cake universe.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh god, that looks fabulous. Too pretty to eat...almost. For me, the only thing that would make it heaven on a plate would be if it were vanilla instead of chocolate. Oooooo just thinking about it makes me drool!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

The cake inside is a buttery vanilla cake that (ideally)is a contrast to the chocolate. I too love vanilla - the ultimate fence sitter am I - I cannot decide which is my favorite.
As I look at the second pic it makes me a little dizzy...

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - that cake is so amazing and so is the bollywood one.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home