Friday, July 13, 2007

Baking Bands





Thought I would try out these insulated baking rings. They are supposed to prevent the doming of your cakes so you don't waste, (??? it doesn't go to waste around here - we eat it straight up, and if I'm making lots of cake we turn it into trifle!) so much cake when trimming.
They worked fairly well with the larger cake, (6"), but not so well for the little 4" pans. It didn't help that I overfilled the little pans so the insulators didn't really have the opportunity to work.
They work out to be alot cheaper than buying sets of insulated pans, but I find them a little awkward to work with. Because I use spring form pans, the ring does not fit tightly. Perhaps that is why I get slight doming. If I used sealed pans I would imagine I could put them in a water bath. But I don't. I do like having more cake to work with, so I think I will continue to use them.
I did notice that someone else didn't think these bands are perfect and are attempting to design something a little more efficient.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I've never heard of these things. I can't imagine a water bath being good for cakes, though - wouldn't the steam make the cake kinda mushy? I don't know... I made a chocolate cake last week for a Black Forest I did for my brother's birthday (pic on ReTorte) and I noticed that overfilling causes the cake to sink in the middle. I knew better but was in a hurry and I knew no one would notice since the cake would be covered in whipped cream... Trifle is always a good thing!!

Man, it is TOO HOT to bake here!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Underground Baker said...

Good point about the steam...but I still think it would work if the oven was a little hotter. I will try it one of these days and let you know.

I like it when cakes have a tender crust so I think this water bath might kind of work like a steam pudding, except without covering the cake.

We'll see. It is too hot here to bake right now, too.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home